Saturday, April 11, 2009

What Really Works...


I have vented quite a bit on here already, so I guess I should write something positive! Matt and I have been trying a new discipline technique that Cory's teacher told us about. I get so sick of telling Cory to do things over and over with no results. I've tried bribes, I've tried threats, I've tried counting (i.e. If I get to ten, you're in trouble! ONE... TWO...), I've even tried--I'm ashamed to admit--spanking. Boo. I never thought I would be the mom who spanks, but I have resorted to it when Cory has put his own life or someone else's in danger. So, it's only been a handful of times, but that's a handful too many. I hate it. Never again!

The method is this:

First you ask your child to do something by saying "please". For example, "Please go get your shoes."
If there is no response or a negative response, say, " You NEED to go get your shoes."
Then if he refuses, you physically make him do it.
So, you would stand him up and walk him to his shoes and make him pick them up and take them back to where you were.
Kids hate this. They hate to be physically forced to do something. It's annoying to try to make them do it, but it works.

After three days of trying this, I haven't lost my temper at Cory, and I just have to ask him to do something once. I love it! Give it a try. Tell me if it works for your kid!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, that's a simple new strategy, I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di, bless you. Bless you for starting this blog and bless you for being the funniest person I know. Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try this!!! Annie is the same way! I just end up yelling my head off because no one listens to me around here!! I will be trying this and see how it works with my kids!!:)

    ReplyDelete