Friday, April 24, 2009

Sick Momma

I am ashamed to admit that it is a gorgeous day today, but my kids have been in front of the tube playing, destroying, tormenting, and all but burning the house down while I have been pathetically trying to catch up on some housework I have fallen behind on. I have tackled the mountain of laundry I haven't touched in (gasp) over a week. The pile was eminating a certain something of an odor so foul I couldn't stand be in my room. As much as I wanted to curl up in my bed amongst all the filth and just pretend the world didn't exist today, being the mother that I am, I had to get up.
Who suffers when Mom is sick? Everyone. Nothing gets done. No one gets fed. My kids weren't dressed until noon. They didn't have lunch until 2:00PM. As I am trying to do the laundry and keep them out of trouble, my desire to flop on my bed and sleep grows and grows.
I can suck it up, but I have been trying to fight this sickness for the past few days. I thought I had it beat, but I had to surrender today.
What is a mom to do with her kids when she feels too miserable to do anything? Is it normal to feel guilty for being so sick? The guilt is beating me down more than the illness. I should be patient and smiley and play with my boys no matter how miserable I'm feeling, right? Sorry, I'm rebelling today.

1 comment:

  1. Diana, you are so funny! Yours is my newest favorite-ist blog to read because it's extremely hilarious, sincere, and strikes a cord with all mothers. I think you rock as a Mom and one of my favorite mom quotes came from Elder Ballard's talk last year, "Daughters of God". "The first question: What can you do, as a young mother, to reduce the pressure and enjoy your family more? First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in MOMENTS.There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction." I try to remember that. There are times that being a Mom really just sucks. I'm tired of always being the last one to eat, and to have my kids not eat everything I lovingly (haha) prepare for them, to not be able to go to any store I want and take forever trying on clothes...but just think of all the wonderful things you get that Matt doesn't. You have a deep insight to Cory and Kevin's little souls and know them better than anyone in the world, you know everything they like and don't like, you see the smiles Matt doesn't see, hear the laughs Matt misses. Get the hugs Matt's not home for. I love the connection I have with my kids.

    ReplyDelete