Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Terrible Twos

My Kevin turned two a week ago. Born to be my comfort in life, Kevin has always been so mellow and delightful. He rarely cried as a baby, ate like a pig, and slept like a hibernating bear. He was the poster child for perfect babies... until now.
I don't know what happened, but my Kevin has turned a 180. He no longer sleeps on schedule, or at all for that matter. He whines about eating, he cries over everything, and he is such a grouch! He's like me when I'm PMSing. I have a little shadow that constantly pulls down my already-hard-enough-to-keep-up pants. I'm weighed down by an extra 30lbs that I am not strong enough to carry all the time.
This lack of sleep and all the tantrums have put me in a foul mood. I've decided that my kids need more structure. I sent out an email to most of my girlfriends with kids to find out what works for them. The best response came from my friend Val who has a whole blog devoted to scheduling her kids. I think that kids should be on a schedule. Structure is very important to kids, but I don't think it should be a rigid regimen. I like Val's blog because the schedules offer structure along with flexibility. I'm planning on implementing the following schedule:
7:00AM Wake up work out and shower
8:00AM Wake the kids of they aren't up already. Have breakfast and get dressed.
9:00AM School/TV time (Cory has school two days a week) I finish getting ready for the day and do my chores. Yes, I have chores for myself.
10:00AM Independent play time. (The kids play in either their room or the family room by themselves)
11:30AM Pick Cory up from school/Lunch preparation, lunch time, clean up
12:30PM Sibling play time (The kids play together outside or in their room.)/ Run errands
2:00PM Quiet time (Read stories, attempt to put Kevin down for a nap, or watch a movie)
4:00PM Cory's work time(Cory has worksheets or educational computer games. Kevin likes to watch or color)
5:00PM Dinner Prep, Dinner, Clean Up
7:00PM Bath time, pajamas, brush teeth, say prayers, read books
8:00PM I put Kevin to bed, Matt puts Cory to bed.
FREE FOR ME!
10:30PM Go to sleep!

Think I can stick with this? I dunno, but I'm gonna try for sanity sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment